A subsidiary of Econet Global, Liquid Telecom is the leading independent data, voice and IP provider in eastern, central and southern Africa. It supplies fibre optic, satellite and international carrier services to Africa's largest mobile network operators, ISPs and businesses of all sizes. It also provides payment solutions to financial institutions and retailers, as well as award winning data storage and communication solutions to businesses across Africa and beyond. Put simply, we connect people.
We started out by questioning the way things are done and being single-minded in our determination to improve them. Everything we do is driven by a simple yet powerful belief that everyone in Africa has the right to be connected. Over the last decade, this vision has helped us change the face of communications in the region.
Our future-focused approach to new product development makes our services enduringly adaptable.
We have to focus on services of the future and new revenue streams not as a side show to infrastructure but as the main show leveraging off the infrastructure which we have. - Nic Rudnick
Our flexible and dynamic business model keeps us at the forefront of telecoms innovation. And by listening to customers, we ensure that our solutions are constantly evolving to meet their needs. In June 2017, Liquid Telecom raised $700m in a bond and term-loan issue that will help Liquid Telecom refinance debt and provide a war chest for further acquisitions.
At the very core of our business is our belief that every individual on the continent has the right to be connected. We believe that the power of technology will create better and brighter lives for everyone.
We're for everyone - Being connected shouldn't just be for the privileged few. We believe it's for everyone and this was recognised at the AfricaCom Awards 2013 when we won an award for Best Cost Efficiency Solution. The sense of doing the right thing runs through every aspect of our business.
Integrity - Having integrity in everything we do has made us what we are today. We are all encouraged to play our part and take responsibility for doing things right and doing the right thing.
Only The Best Will Do - We're constantly striving to deliver the best communications technology to everyone from the smallest communities to the biggest businesses in the region.
Dont Talk Do - We listen carefully to our customers, then we deliver beyond their expectations. This can do' attitude is key to our success.
In It For The Long Run - We've invested heavily in our own network and technology. We created the largest single fibre network in the region, which stretches over 18,000km across borders to connect people locally, nationally and internationally. We're not stopping there we're continuing to invest so we can connect people all over Africa.
Further information can be found at www.Liquidtelecom.com
To be responsible for the operational management of field operations and the staff compliment of a specific sub-departments within the Region, including, but not limited to all the associated technologies, to provide a service that seamlessly integrates to the entire business unit and the overall Network.
This position is responsible for the operational management and driving of the MTTR and MTTI performance in the Remedial, Preventative maintenance and the implementation and provisioning of new services.
To be responsible for the operational management of the network availability and support functions provided by the field operations teams.
Minimum Requirements of Job
Formal Qualifications Required
- B-Degree/similar technical qualification or relevant technical experience in Operations - Essential
- MBA or management qualification - Desirable
- ITIL V3 Foundation
- Cisco or similar certification
Job Related Experience Required
- 5-8 years ICT environment
- 5-8 years Telecommunications environment
- 5-8 years Technical experience and relevant technical certification
- 3-5 Management experience (junior)
Job Related Knowledge Required
- Knowledge of telecommunications environment
- Knowledge of ICT technology, products and services
- Understanding of the telecommunications value chain
- Experience in working with cross-functional teams
- Finance and Contract management
Job Related Skills Required
- Effective communication and report writing skills
- Analytical thinking
- Engagement skills with management at all levels
- Proactive and organised, able to prioritize
- Highly motivated and self-disciplined
- Able to work independently or in a team
- Process orientated and ability to adapt
Operations (Preventative and Remedial)
Oversees, within their area of responsibility, the operational management of preventative, reactive and corrective maintenance on the LTSA Network and Customer Managed Services networks (inclusive of IP, Voice, Transport, Facilities, Optic Fibre Infrastructure and Managed Services LAN & Voice)
- Engage with Assistant Managers and Senior Specialists to ensure field resolution and compliance with SLAs
- Manage scheduled and unscheduled downtime to minimise impact on customers
- Ensure fault management, diagnostics and resolution to meet Liquid Telecom requirements
- Manage incident escalation resolution matrix by operating in a manager capacity within the escalation matrix to ensure that correct decisions are made and in the interest of the client and LTSA network
- Manage the spares availability for all Core, Access, CPE equipment, Facility and Optic Fiber infrastructures
- Review Root Cause Analysis for all Major Events on the Network and ensure systems put in place to prevent or mitigate its reoccurrence
- Communicate with various stakeholders on the progress of repairs or maintenance to track progress against required LTSA standard and/or SLAs
- Manage and ensure compliance to all maintenance programs
- Facilitate, monitor and manage cross functional activities and processes
- Oversee issues and risks raised against all Service operational regional Projects
- Conduct regular meetings with relevant stakeholders (Internal & external stakeholders)
- Effectively deal with customer escalations and complaints
Service Delivery Osp Build & Final Provisioning
Manage resource availability for the supervision and provisioning of new services to enterprise and managed services customers.
Oversee all projects executed by the field operations teams under their control
- Provide progress reports to stakeholders on project progress
- Ensure performance requirements of new services are met to ensure revenue and customer satisfaction
- Manage operational teams to ensure quality of installations at customer premises
- Manage construction in the road reserves and ensure adherence to standards and quality
- Assist with the evaluation of incoming and outgoing Right of Way approvals
- Manage project kick-off meetings
- Effectively deal with customer escalations and complaints
- Manage the equipment preparation and configuration of new services
- Oversee the recovery of equipment (customer cancellations)
- Manage the deployment of last mile fibre installation projects
- Consult with senior management and review proposals to determine goals, time frame, funding limitations and procedures for accomplishing the project/task.
- Oversee OSP build contractor performance
- Oversee and support Project Managers with planning and execution of projects under their control
- Responsible for control of various projects and ensures that project goals are accomplished in line with business objectives, within budget and time frame
- Adherence to project management methodology (Prince2) and suggested improvements
Management Of The Business Unit
Management of the sub-departments, internal and external stakeholders to meet company operational goals and objectives
- Proactive notification and updates of service failures to be sent timeously to respective stakeholders in order inform all impacted customers
- Ensure efficient use of various ERP tools used by the organization to support functional analysis and reporting
- Develop, implement, document and enforce applicable policies and procedures to deliver a unified service within the department
- Review report on all non-conformance issues
- Reporting progress at regular intervals to senior management
- Ensure regional delivery of scorecard objectives
- Achieve business objectives by ensuring performance management amongst teams
- Effectively manage vendors and contractors to comply and align with various 3rd Party and customer SLAs
- Manage discipline, corporate governance, training and development, and administration
- Assist and support to create, review and revise service assurance processes to maintain compliance
- Managed and report on ISP & OSP environments resolution efficiencies
- Manage Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental programs within area of responsibility
- Support programmes and processes to support various ISO accreditation
- Oversee issues and risks raised against all operational projects
- Interact with internal and external stakeholder to implement plans to reduce the risks associated with vandalism and theft of company assets
- Support the companys business continuity management plans for sub-departments area of responsibility
- Monitor and report on costs associated with staff such as overtime, allowances, leave and training, to ensure they meet requirements set out in policy as well as those directed to meet organizational objectives
- Ensure that all human resources are appropriately managed in terms of performance and development including performance management and career development initiatives
- Manage staff in sub-department to achieve the objectives in line with the operating plan and company strategy
- Update and implement the shift rosters, to ensure 24X7 operations are fully staffed and maintained with competent individuals
- Manage discipline, corporate governance, training and development, administration, appointments and staffing, performance management, career and succession planning
- Assist with business cases for various Revenue generating projects
- Manage the movement and capitalization of all LTSA assets
- Manage OPEX and CAPEX budgets within area of responsibility
- 1st line approval for OPEX and CAPEX technical motivations
- Initiate the recovery of funds associated to 3rd party damages on the LTSA network