A subsidiary of Econet Global, Liquid Telecom is the leading independent data, voice and IP provider in eastern, central and southern Africa. It supplies fibre optic, satellite and international carrier services to Africa's largest mobile network operators, ISPs and businesses of all sizes. It also provides payment solutions to financial institutions and retailers, as well as award winning data storage and communication solutions to businesses across Africa and beyond. Put simply, we connect people.
We started out by questioning the way things are done and being single-minded in our determination to improve them. Everything we do is driven by a simple yet powerful belief that everyone in Africa has the right to be connected. Over the last decade, this vision has helped us change the face of communications in the region.
Our future-focused approach to new product development makes our services enduringly adaptable.
We have to focus on services of the future and new revenue streams not as a side show to infrastructure but as the main show leveraging off the infrastructure which we have. - Nic Rudnick
Our flexible and dynamic business model keeps us at the forefront of telecoms innovation. And by listening to customers, we ensure that our solutions are constantly evolving to meet their needs. In June 2017, Liquid Telecom raised $700m in a bond and term-loan issue that will help Liquid Telecom refinance debt and provide a war chest for further acquisitions.
At the very core of our business is our belief that every individual on the continent has the right to be connected. We believe that the power of technology will create better and brighter lives for everyone.
We're for everyone - Being connected shouldn't just be for the privileged few. We believe it's for everyone and this was recognised at the AfricaCom Awards 2013 when we won an award for Best Cost Efficiency Solution. The sense of doing the right thing runs through every aspect of our business.
Integrity - Having integrity in everything we do has made us what we are today. We are all encouraged to play our part and take responsibility for doing things right and doing the right thing.
Only The Best Will Do - We're constantly striving to deliver the best communications technology to everyone from the smallest communities to the biggest businesses in the region.
Dont Talk Do - We listen carefully to our customers, then we deliver beyond their expectations. This can do' attitude is key to our success.
In It For The Long Run - We've invested heavily in our own network and technology. We created the largest single fibre network in the region, which stretches over 18,000km across borders to connect people locally, nationally and internationally. We're not stopping there we're continuing to invest so we can connect people all over Africa.
Further information can be found at www.Liquidtelecom.com
This position is responsible for the management of services and processes around facilities, physical security and fleet management that supports the core business of Liquid Telecom South Africa.
It ensures that LTSA has the most conducive working environment, has effective physical security and optimized Fleet Management for its employees and visitors.
Responsible for finding Pop sites and negotiating lease terms with the landlord or property owner for the sole purpose of erecting telecommunications equipment and or bringing telecom services into or across various properties, E.g. Office Parks, Shopping Malls, green fields, High Rise Buildings and existing high sites on national level.
Minimum Requirements of Job
Formal Qualifications Required
- Qualification: Electrical, Mechanical or Built industry/ Property Management - Essential
- Qualification: Masters in Built industry / Business Administration - Advantageous
- Must be registered as a professional engineer - Essential
Job Related Experience Required
- 8 years experience in a similar or related environment and 5yrs of which should be in Senior Management position
Job Related Knowledge Required
- Built Environmental management
- Vendor management
- Commercial Real Estate Space Planning
- Project Management
- Proficient in MS Office especially MS Excel; PowerPoint & MS Projects
Job Related Skills Required
- Ability to oversee electrical, mechanical, structural as well as health and safety aspects of buildings
- Ability to manage and coordinate a diverse portfolio to achieve best results for the department
- Ability to develop, communicate and ensure implementation of key strategies and objectives for the success of LTSA
- Excellent financial, presentation, verbal and written communication and able to clearly present complex situations
- Ability to plan and organise medium to long term ahead
- Ability to develop solutions for complex problems to achieve the correct outcomes
- Sound business acumen, resourceful and be a strategic and business overall thinker
- Ability to negotiate, interact and achieve targets nationally
- Ability to lead, manage and develop staff and employees
Management of Facilities
- Develops the strategy for sourcing and managing Liquid Telecom Facilities nationally
- Presents business cases to Exco for approval on property (not limited to office space but exclude PoPs) leasing or releasing, based on company requirements.
- Provides professional guidance and oversight to internal and external stakeholders throughout the development and implementation of the planning, design and construction phases of new buildings and major renovation projects
- Ensures efficient management and maintenance of all Commercial Real Estate Lease agreements (existing and new lease agreements), excluding PoPs.
- Responsible for managing architects, quantity surveyors and various consultants on construction and renovation of LTSA offices
- Responsible for quality and continuous electrical supply, as well as water and sanitation demand for corporate offices
- Ensure compliance with applicable regulations, ACTS (Such OHASA,etc)
- Responsible for developing and communicating facilities management Best Practice and continue to look for new initiatives and changes to develop the business, protect the asset and optimise costs.
- Establishes rental rates by surveying local rental rates; calculating overhead costs, depreciation, taxes, and profit goals
- Facilitates decision making based on comparison and optimal cost structures.
Management of physical work environment
- Ensuring that the physical work space is conducive for employees in the work environment
- Oversees the ongoing maintenance and repair of all LTSA Facilities in a manner that manages risks to ensure the optimal level of operation and up-time
- Develops functional structures, ensuring the correct policies, processes and systems are in place to increase efficiency in service delivery.
- Ensures that the working environment adheres to the South African Legislative standards
- Develops and implements customer service standards for the Facilities team by driving customer centricity within the team in delivering both Hard Services and Soft Services for the business.
- Oversees the soft services and hard services by giving direction to the Facilities team:
- Hard Services include:
- Building Maintenance (Collaborating with Health & Safety)
- Electrical Services
- Water Services
- Mechanical Services
- Office Infrastructure (including parking facilities)
- Waste Management
- Fire Protection
- Corporate Shuttle Services
- Oversee the management of Fleet, the lease Agreement with the service provider, the fuel Cards, the traffic department fines, the maintenance of vehicles as well as the Insurance Claims
- Oversee the management of Corporate Fuel Cards, opening and closing of fuel cards and reconciliation of the account.
- Oversee Fleet and Fuel card management for all business units ensuring availability of fleet vehicles and fuel cards as well as efficiency in management.
- Ensure all contracts have measurable outputs and relevant penalty clauses.
- SLA Performance monitored monthly.
Physical Security Management
- Formulating and presenting physical security strategy to line management for approval for all LTSA facilities, including POP sites and VIP protection where necessary,
- Oversee the implementation of security controls and systems, ensuring adequate maintenance and efficiency. Also ensuring non-compliance and risks are eliminated from operations
- Oversee the management of the LTSA National Security Centre. Ensuring that incident related requests are processed timeously and deployment of physical security, armed response, armed escort for all business units including POP sites are done according to SLA
Vendor (Contract) Management
- Overseeing Contract Management & Cost Optimization for Facilities, Physical Security and Fleet Management Nationally
- Drives the management of service providers to ensure quality, cost efficiency and prompt service deliver
- Develops, coordinates, evaluates monitoring and inspection programs to ensure appropriate levels of customer services are met
- Ensures that reporting frameworks and performance management of service providers are aligned to SLAs
- Oversees Capex and Opex Budget planning and optimization for the Facilities, Security and Fleet
- Ensures the identification of gaps in efficiency and continuous initiatives on cost reduction i.e. on travel costs, rental costs, maintenance costs, adhoc security for POPs costs; fleet costs
- Directs and coordinates activities to ensure all Facilities, Security and Fleet projects progress on schedule and within prescribed Budget
- Ensures governance, driving the reduction and closure of all audit findings within Facilities, Physical Security and Fleet Department
- Reviews, updates and maintains the Department structure for approval by the HR Business Partner/Chief Human Resources.
- Develops the necessary staff plan/s to ensure that the Department meets its agreed goals and objectives, meets staff on a pre-agreed basis, identifies and agrees key performance areas, key objectives/tasks and action plans;
- Performance management and evaluation of staff, identifying performance strengths and deficiencies, and arranges for necessary action (for example further specialised development);
- Ensuring Development plans are in place and necessary training is carried out
- Ensures that members of staff adhere to the requisite SHE, Risk and Compliance and Human Resources Policies, Procedures and Systems are in place and are being followed accurately.
- Identify POP locations for communication equipment and/or facilities
- Complete property researches and due diligence, including property profiles, reports, zoning maps, street maps, etc.
- Interface with External and Internal parties on new acquisition as per Network Engineering's & SD requirements.
- Ensure that all lease agreement are secured in line with company technology project plan.
- Continuous engagement with property leasing company and colocation companies to obtain best service and turn around for network projects.
- Identification of and coordination with property owners, neighborhood associations, and other land owners to gain authority to enter into legal agreements for the installation of wireless communication equipment or crossing properties
- Manage and negotiate all leases and renewals with designated property owners or colocation operators
- Ensure that there is always sufficient Capacity on all sites to avoid stop sales
- Manage internal approvals pertaining to leases, (rental queries and electrical) are handled with minimal disputes.
- Coordinate site visits with multi-disciplinary groups, including RF Engineering, Construction, Management, and health and safety personnel.
- Ensure that all sites have sufficient space and power for all services and projects
- Prepare and ensure completeness of all necessary applications and supporting documentation including written descriptions, findings, justifications, plans and sketches, diagrams and photo simulations.
- Interact with Radio Engineering and construction to ensure compliance with all client, landlord, jurisdictional, governmental, and industry requirements.
- Compile daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly forecasting and reporting to the CTO or owners as required and attend status meetings and prepare site status reports as needed
- Analyse technical goals and objective for network sites for core and regional expansion
- Conduct site visits regularly, especially for base stations and antennas ensuring that the requirements can be met by the Landlord
- Identify creative or alternative solutions for the development and deployment for the communication facility when faced with challenging site specific issues