A subsidiary of Econet Global, Liquid Telecom is the leading independent data, voice and IP provider in eastern, central and southern Africa. It supplies fibre optic, satellite and international carrier services to Africa's largest mobile network operators, ISPs and businesses of all sizes. It also provides payment solutions to financial institutions and retailers, as well as award winning data storage and communication solutions to businesses across Africa and beyond. Put simply, we connect people.
We started out by questioning the way things are done and being single-minded in our determination to improve them. Everything we do is driven by a simple yet powerful belief that everyone in Africa has the right to be connected. Over the last decade, this vision has helped us change the face of communications in the region.
Our future-focused approach to new product development makes our services enduringly adaptable.
We have to focus on services of the future and new revenue streams not as a side show to infrastructure but as the main show leveraging off the infrastructure which we have. - Nic Rudnick
Our flexible and dynamic business model keeps us at the forefront of telecoms innovation. And by listening to customers, we ensure that our solutions are constantly evolving to meet their needs. In June 2017, Liquid Telecom raised $700m in a bond and term-loan issue that will help Liquid Telecom refinance debt and provide a war chest for further acquisitions.
At the very core of our business is our belief that every individual on the continent has the right to be connected. We believe that the power of technology will create better and brighter lives for everyone.
We're for everyone - Being connected shouldn't just be for the privileged few. We believe it's for everyone and this was recognised at the AfricaCom Awards 2013 when we won an award for Best Cost Efficiency Solution. The sense of doing the right thing runs through every aspect of our business.
Integrity - Having integrity in everything we do has made us what we are today. We are all encouraged to play our part and take responsibility for doing things right and doing the right thing.
Only The Best Will Do - We're constantly striving to deliver the best communications technology to everyone from the smallest communities to the biggest businesses in the region.
Dont Talk Do - We listen carefully to our customers, then we deliver beyond their expectations. This can do' attitude is key to our success.
In It For The Long Run - We've invested heavily in our own network and technology. We created the largest single fibre network in the region, which stretches over 18,000km across borders to connect people locally, nationally and internationally. We're not stopping there we're continuing to invest so we can connect people all over Africa.
Further information can be found at www.Liquidtelecom.com
Product Management & Development
- Drives the Product Management for the Africa Data Centres business across the Africa region with a focus on delivering revenues by enhancements, growth and new products in the Wholesale and Enterprise markets.
- Drives Africa Data Centres product vision; overseeing the development and management of the products roadmap based on the adopted strategies and vision.
- Aligns data centre Product Portfolio and strategy across the Africa region.
- To lead the Pricing & Business Case process and ensure the application of pricing and business case principles and methodology within Africa Data Centres. Develop conclusions and make recommendations to the relevant stakeholders with respect to tariffs, prices, offer duration, billing, economic and legislative changes.
- A critical success factor is to demonstrate exemplary understanding of pricing within the telecommunication environment and to determine and set prices in line with Product and Sales strategy.
Customer Specific Solutions:
- Provide Pre-sales and technical leadership for the development and support of complex Solutions that will support all Sales segments
- Lead an interdepartmental, highly skilled technical team responsible for all aspects of Complex Solutions designs from concept to development, implementation/integration, launch and on-going product management.
- Identifying and onboarding partners to effectivity design, deploy and manage solutions that cannot be fulfilled by LTSAs existing capabilities otherwise.
Minimum Requirements of Job
Formal Qualifications Required
- Degree or a minimum of a 3-year tertiary education from a recognized public education institution
- Post-Graduate Diploma or Masters Degree such as MBA/MBL
Role Related Experience Required
- 8+ years Sales, marketing, product development and management in a similar Business or Industry
Role Related Knowledge Required
- Staff Management
- Product Development
- Product Management
- Financial Management
- Sales Management
Role Related Skills/Competencies Required
- Excellent verbal and written communication and ability to present complex solutions
- Ability to plan and organise the Product function for the medium and long term
- Ability to analyse and solve complex problems to achieve the correct outcomes
- Ability to negotiate, interact and achieve targets
- Ability to lead, manage and develop staff and employees
Products performance review Wholesale and Enterprise
Define the business requirements for product management and development, to turn information in to insights and turn insights in to business decisions.
- Key performance reports for products:
- Monthly and Year to Date revenue compared to budget
- Product pipeline and prospects,
- Closed won/lost
- Review the reports with Africa Data Centres executives
- Analyse, agree corrective actions, track and review financial changes that might impact the product P&L (Profit & Loss)
- Price revision in different segments and impacts thereof
- Competitors analysis
- Product capacity / services analysis per Product and Customers.
Strategic Planning for new Product Development and Enhancements
In conjunction with the Director of Business Operations, assists and contributes to the 3 to 5-year Strategic Business Plan by:
- Providing research and insights for strategic direction for new Products, and Digital Services for Africa Data Centres;
- Developing a comprehensive annual plan including time lines to guide the Products Management and cross-functional teams in the achievement of the medium and short-term objectives;
- Actioning the annual plan into quarterly and monthly phases to manage the Product Business Unit;
- Manage and maintain the Africa Data Centres Product Development Roadmap and align with cross functional stakeholders to ensure the execution thereof;
- Building and maintaining the internal relationships with the Sales, Marketing, Information Technology and Customer Service Teams to ensure a seamless service across all Africa Data Centres and LTSA
Budget planning, implementation and monitoring
- Develop the annual budget for New Product, and Digital services and submits to the Director of Business Operations for inclusion in the overall Africa Data Centres Product Financial Budget;
- Reviews and plans budget requirements and agrees such with Director of Business Operations
- Monitors the new Product and Digital Transformation budget monthly, identifies variances and takes corrective action through team members;
- Directs and provides input to the Director of Business Operations regarding technology strategy and market-related thought leadership via engagement with Industry Analysts, Telecommunication forums and technology partners
- Understand the Product Lifecycle - manage the progression of the phases
Lead and Manage Product Management & Development
- Ensure set product targets are met, through regular reviews
- Review, Agree and update roadmaps
- Engage all departments re product performance and possible enhancement
- Ensure the Product life cycle management is followed. Manage the progression through the phases.
- Go To market (promotion and sales strategy)
- Manage further developments (enhancements) to maintain relevance
- Maintain and defend revenue
- Support Request for Proposal & Tenders; play a major coordinating function
- Support cross county/OpCo customers
- Share Cross functional learning and sharing of information with team
- Ensure standard product pricing is relevant, competitive and market related.
- Develop all non-standard pricing elements of customer proposals, particularly those associated with solutions-based proposals
- Develop and implement product price strategies including segment strategies for the various markets and channels with Product Management
- Maintain pricing databases and spreadsheets and ensure signing-off of all quotations to be submitted to customers
- Maintain a comprehensive price book and also make sure the price book is updated on a regular basis.
- Design and implement efficient pricing and business case processes.
- Conduct benchmarks on prices on a regular basis including assessment of the latest trends on pricing.
- Create a formal competitive market analysis presentation from time to time and present to management.
- Align pricing with the product strategy as well as sales strategy.
- Ensure product prices are implemented on the system as per contract.
- Develop pricing models in line with the customer requirements and sales strategy.
- Prepare monthly management reports for submission and / or presentation to Divisional Heads and other relevant stakeholders.
- Verify accuracy of pricing information by reviewing reports and identifying and fixing discrepancies.
- Provide pricing support to Sales and Strategic Customers, including responding to inquiries.
- Develop and implement product price strategies including segment strategies for the various markets and channels with the Product Management team
- Work with Sales and Finance groups to develop a competitive price which generates agreed margins for all in-life products and services
- Use market analysis data, customer satisfaction data and internal service costing data to develop and manage value based pricing and pricing strategies across the full range of products, working with product managers, segment managers, product development managers and finance managers
- Ensure pricing and DOAs on systems are timeously updated according to latest approved pricelists.
- Engage with Products, Solutions and Engineering in order to model product or solution costs accurately
- Deliver non-standard pricing within agreed TATs per scenario type.
- Monitor market events and capture, store and track product /service pricing information and provide insight and data to support management decision-making
- Bundle products and services and apply discounts that are attractive yet within financial guidelines
- Coordinate the Bid process, ensuring that RFP and proposals are commercially and financially complete in terms of ensuring that all cost elements are included and priced
- Monitor and track quotations on a monthly basis and the reporting thereof.
- Investigate and analyse any outstanding issues related to the Pricing and Business Case processes.
- Monitor and track strategic and operational plans for Pricing and Business Cases.
- Compile and analyse competitive product pricing data from internal and external sources for the creation of formal reports to management.
- Support departments external competitive data requirements with outside data vendors.
- Liaise with Pricing, Product Management, New Product, and Portfolio teams, suggesting improvements on the pricing structures, for both existing and new products and customers.
- Manage Ad hoc projects as and when required and/or directed by management.
Customer Specific Solutions
- Responsible for the development of complex technology solutions
- Go/No-Go decision for complex RFXs/Bids/Tenders.
- Oversee technology, vendor and partner recommendation for complex (non-standard) solutions.
- Technology direction for new services/functionality/technology
- Lead the mapping of business requirements to systems/technical requirements to ensure they are in line with Africa Data Centres existing or future capabilities
- Review, interpret and respond to detailed business requirements specifications
- Provide input to the strategic direction of technology investments to assist in the development of the enterprise architecture and maximise the return on technology investment
- Within the agreed enterprise architecture, define and design technology solutions to assist the business in meeting their business objectives
- Develop, test and implement technology solutions and report on delivery commitments to ensure solutions are implemented as expected and to agreed timeframes
- Work collaboratively to contribute to achieving multiple teams business outcomes
- Educate strategic customers technology trends, and participate in deep architectural discussions to ensure solutions are designed for successful deployment