Africa Data Centres (ADC) is Africas first network of state-of-the-art, interconnected Data Centre facilities. We bring leading cloud service providers, carriers and enterprises, the additional rack space and colocation services they need to meet the growing demand for cloud-based services in Southern Africa.
Our facilities are all purpose-built to Tier III standards, are carrier-neutral, resilient, and have been designed, built and operated to the highest standards, to provide businesses across Africa with peace-of-mind, irrespective of the scale of their requirement.
Furthermore, ADCs facilities owned and operated entirely by us, meaning the physical and digital security of customers data and transactional computer processing are our top priority.
ADCs four vendor-neutral data environments are interconnected by multiple networks including Liquid Telecoms award-winning fibre network, which provides regional and international reach for customers. This allows businesses hosting data and cloud in Africa to have control and flexibility of where to host and back-up their data with geographic diversity.
ADCs facilities are ISO 27001 certified, complying with high international information security management standards, and are compliant with PCI DSS too, the global information security standard set by the Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council to help control and minimise points of risk to fraud or compromise of sensitive information.
Our mission is to be the heart of Africas digital transformation. We strive for excellence, innovation and customer-centricity in all that we do. We recognize that our team is only be as strong as its weakest member, so we help each other progress. We never let an issue unsolved; it will get worse. We make decisions quickly and thoughtfully. In making these decisions, we keep top of mind our obligations to our customers and to our companys reputation. Our core values are listed below.
- Integrity: We are honest, open, ethical, and fair
- Diversity: We know it takes people with different ideas, strengths, interests, and cultural backgrounds to make our company succeed
- Quality: We give the best of ourselves every day and strive for excellence
- Community: We minimize our negative impact on the environment and maximize our positive impact towards the communities and countries in which we work.
Further information can be found at https://www.africadatacentres.com.
This position is responsible for the management of Africa Data Centre properties in South Africa, in order to optimise the return on investment, manage relationships with landlords, meet tenant expectations and in so doing, secure long-term relationships and hence income growth.
Minimum Requirements of Job
- Qualification: Electrical, Mechanical or Built industry/ Property Management
- Qualification: Masters in Built industry / Business Administration (Advantageous)
Registered as a professional engineer (Advantageous)
Job Related Experience Required
5 years experience in a similar or related environment and 3yrs of which should be in Management position
Job Related Knowledge Required
- Built Environmental management
- Vendor management
- Commercial Real Estate Space Planning
- Project Management
- Proficient in MS Office especially MS Excel; PowerPoint & MS Projects
Job Related Skills Required
- Experience with lease structures and tenant expectations.
- Ability to oversee electrical, mechanical, structural as well as health and safety aspects of buildings
- Ability to manage and coordinate a diverse portfolio to achieve best results for the department
- Ability to develop, communicate and ensure implementation of key strategies and objectives for the success of LTSA
- Excellent financial, presentation, verbal and written communication and able to clearly present complex situations
- Ability to plan and organise medium to long term ahead
- Ability to develop solutions for complex problems to achieve the correct outcomes
- Sound business acumen, resourceful and be a strategic and business overall thinker
- Ability to negotiate, interact and achieve targets nationally
- Ability to lead, manage and develop staff and employees
Municipal Account Management
- Monitor municipal ratings that impact ADC property and, where necessary, submit the necessary objection
- Monitor municipal charges for carrying balances and estimated charges older than two months
- Provide electricity and water charges readings for the tenant premises
- Resolving queries, checking and approval of all utilities payments (water, sewer, electricity, refuse)
- Relationship Management with relevant municipal officials
- Represent at local owners association meetings. Attend AGM and represent the interest of the owner / tenants. Receive the monthly invoice, vet and approve and submit to Finance for payment
Tenant Management and Administration
- Secure long-term tenant relationship by a pro-active approach to:
- Meeting tenant expectations and satisfying tenant complaints.
- Ensuring optimum maintenance, operating standards and service levels.
- Ensure that valid and up to date leases / occupancy of space agreements are kept in place
- Capture and maintain accurate records on ADC systems
- Attendance and participation in monthly (or when required) on-site meetings with tenants for operational matters and budget purposes
- Ensure tenants adhere to lease obligations
- General tenant liaison and administration
- Support the Finance Team in validating rental statements for tenant premises review and sign-off by 25th of each month
- Monitors payment and advise should there be an issue
Financial Performance Management
- To achieve the maximum net income on each property on a long-term basis.
- Ensuring effective budgeting of all ADC properties, collection of rentals and operating recoveries from tenants.
- Ensuring that the Group's exposure is fully protected through effective documentation, financial control and records.
- Control and authorisation, where applicable, of all budgeted and unbudgeted expenditure on properties in own Portfolio.
- Monitoring of budgeted income in relation to actual cost incurred to ensure that the budgeted net income of Portfolio will be achieved and, if possible, improved upon.
- Ensuring optimum short term and cyclical maintenance programs of buildings.
- Complete the Annual Income and Expense Budgeting exercise together with Data Centre Operations and Finance
- Operating expenses
- On a quarterly basis meet with the tenants and provide feedback on the tracking of the Opex budget versus actual
- Prepare estimated operating expense budget for tenants on or before 31 July
- Settle operating expense budget with tenants by 31 Oct
- Complete reconciliation of final Opex on or before 31 March
- Pay / claim amount over / under claimed
- Planning and managing the space usage and cost-effective installation of tenants (in coordination with the Sales and DC Operations teams)
Vendor (Contract) Management
- Overseeing Contract Management & Cost Optimization for Facilities
- Drives the management of service providers to ensure quality, cost efficiency and prompt service delivery
- Develops, coordinates, evaluates monitoring and inspection programs to ensure appropriate levels of customer services are met.
- Ensures that reporting frameworks and performance management of service providers are aligned to SLAs.
- Oversees Capex and Opex Budget planning and optimization for the Facilities
- Ensures the identification of gaps in efficiency and continuous initiatives on cost reduction
- Directs and coordinates activities to ensure all Facilities projects progress on schedule and within prescribed Budget
- Ensures governance, driving the reduction and closure of all audit findings within Facilities.
- To review and adapt all service contracts entered into for own Portfolio by ensuring that:
- Existing service levels match optimum requirements of tenant mix/building parameters.
- Actual costs of services employed are market related.
- Contract documentation guarantee maximum service levels whilst maintaining flexibility to terminate or amend the volume of services
- contracted for.
- All new contracts are entered into with the aforementioned aspects in mind, and that existing contracts be reviewed at the appropriate time on
- an annual basis.
- Overall Objective: To optimise the cost effectiveness and service levels of all service contracts.
- Building and maintaining strong and productive internal relationships with the Sales, Information Technology, Operations, Development, Finance and Legal Teams to ensure a seamless service across the Africa Data Centres properties.
- Communicate efficiently and effectively across teams and among the executive team to ensure business outcomes are met.
- Work collaboratively to contribute to achieving multiple teams business outcomes
- Decides on Municipal engagement strategy
- Decides on Tenant Relationships Management approach, in line with contractual obligations
- Decides on Facilities Operational Model
- Decides on outsourcing strategy for the Departments portfolios to best support ADC business units
- Decides on revenue forecasts and operating expenses budgets, in coordination with the Finance Team.
- Decides on Properties Management projects prioritization according to level of importance and budget availability
- Accountable for implementing company strategy and standards regarding people and working environment
- Accountable for Cost optimization and Budget management for the department
- Accountable for ensuring governance, processes, and systems are in place to enable a functional department
- Accountable for continuously providing leadership to the company as well as improvement initiatives
- Accountable for governance, recommendations on initiatives and innovations for Cost and Operational efficiency
- Accountable for new tenant leases
- Accountable for all Property agreements
- Accountable for maintaining accurate records of all leases, costs, renewals