A subsidiary of Econet Global, Liquid Telecom is the leading independent data, voice and IP provider in eastern, central and southern Africa. It supplies fibre optic, satellite and international carrier services to Africa's largest mobile network operators, ISPs and businesses of all sizes. It also provides payment solutions to financial institutions and retailers, as well as award winning data storage and communication solutions to businesses across Africa and beyond. Put simply, we connect people.
We started out by questioning the way things are done and being single-minded in our determination to improve them. Everything we do is driven by a simple yet powerful belief that everyone in Africa has the right to be connected. Over the last decade, this vision has helped us change the face of communications in the region.
Our future-focused approach to new product development makes our services enduringly adaptable.
We have to focus on services of the future and new revenue streams not as a side show to infrastructure but as the main show leveraging off the infrastructure which we have. - Nic Rudnick
Our flexible and dynamic business model keeps us at the forefront of telecoms innovation. And by listening to customers, we ensure that our solutions are constantly evolving to meet their needs. In June 2017, Liquid Telecom raised $700m in a bond and term-loan issue that will help Liquid Telecom refinance debt and provide a war chest for further acquisitions.
At the very core of our business is our belief that every individual on the continent has the right to be connected. We believe that the power of technology will create better and brighter lives for everyone.
We're for everyone - Being connected shouldn't just be for the privileged few. We believe it's for everyone and this was recognised at the AfricaCom Awards 2013 when we won an award for Best Cost Efficiency Solution. The sense of doing the right thing runs through every aspect of our business.
Integrity - Having integrity in everything we do has made us what we are today. We are all encouraged to play our part and take responsibility for doing things right and doing the right thing.
Only The Best Will Do - We're constantly striving to deliver the best communications technology to everyone from the smallest communities to the biggest businesses in the region.
Dont Talk Do - We listen carefully to our customers, then we deliver beyond their expectations. This can do' attitude is key to our success.
In It For The Long Run - We've invested heavily in our own network and technology. We created the largest single fibre network in the region, which stretches over 18,000km across borders to connect people locally, nationally and internationally. We're not stopping there we're continuing to invest so we can connect people all over Africa.
The Specialist Pricing provides a Pricing, Business Case and Commercial Support & Advisory service across the Liquid Telecom Group standard products and customized solutions.
Ensures the application of agreed pricing and business case principles and methodology within Liquid Telecom South Africa.
Maintaining of minimum required financial margins on business cases as agreed with stakeholders.
Analysis and reporting of data for presentation to the relevant stakeholders with respect to price points, discounts, input costs, acceptable margins.
The role supports the GCCO and GCBO functions across all the Opcos in the Group. The team will support the GCCO in managing the pricing and new projects for the Group and all Opcos, business case preparation for large projects for various existing Opco as well as new strategic projects assigned by GCOO. The role will also support pricing for cross subsidization of Network, Digital and Managed services to manage the product-based profitability towards which company is moving.
The role will also support strategic and other large-scale projects for presentation to GCOO on business cases and pricing.
Minimum Requirements of Job
Formal Qualifications Required
- 3- or 4-year Engineering / Commercial / Finance degree or appropriate NQF level qualification
Job Related Experience Required
- Work experience in a Telecoms/Commercial environment
Job Related Knowledge Required
- Knowledge of Pricing and costing
- Understanding and knowledge of pricing within the telecommunication environment
- Knowledge of Telecommunications products and network technologies
- Microsoft Office Products (Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint)
Job Related Skills Required
- Good communication skills
- Decisive, good negotiator and able to navigate through complex meetings
- Strong financial skills
- Attention to details
- Strong personality
- Ability to multi-task
- Strategic thinker
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Enjoy working with a team
- High degree of resourcefulness and initiative; ability to prioritise multiple tasks to meet deadlines
Impart Business and Subject matter expertise to the Organization within Sphere of Control
- Provide guidance to Sales in matters related to the pricing of products and solutions
- To understand the broad array of Liquid Telecom product and services and provide pricing metrics thereof
- Engage with Product, Solutions, Engineering and Finance functions with regard to inputs and approvals
- To support Sales on commercial negotiations with customers and pricing discussions
Pricing and Business Cases
Customer Pricing & Business Cases
- To provide innovative commercial models (CAPEX/OPEX mix) that can be applied to customers according to different scenarios
- Responsible for the commercial and pricing aspects of bids, RFPs, proposals and customer rate cards
- Business case compilation for standard and customised scenarios
- To support Sales with negotiations with Customers and pricing discussions
Products & Price Book
- Business case and pricing for new products and product enhancements
- Bundling of products and services and application of discounts that are attractive yet within financial guidelines
- Price book & DoA creation, publishing and maintenance
- Product price revision and business case
Network & Strategic Projects
- Business case & pricing preparation for large projects for various existing OpCo as well as new strategic projects assigned by Senior Manager
- Presentation of business case & pricing for strategic and other large scale projects to GCOO
- Risk assessment and recommendations based on outcomes of business case analysis
- To create and manage pricing and commercial negotiations for complex, managed service and connectivity global opportunities in a timely manner, meeting Liquid Telecom objectives whilst mitigating risk
- To analyse and monitor high capacity subsea cable pricing to make sure it is competitive and in line with the market
Global Account Pricing Support
- Support Global Account Director as SPOC (single point of contact) for pricing requests and customer rate cards
- Support Global Account Director on order management for designated Global Accounts which involves order form creation and updates
- Liaise with the Customer on Pricing and Commercial matters
- Liaise with the various Opcos in the Group for rate cards and customer specific requirements
Vendor Management & Support
- Participate in vendor management negotiations to provide feedback on pricing requests to ensure that the organization is competitive in the marketplace
- To follow-up with vendors/suppliers and manage escalations accordingly to obtain pricing globally
- To Provide costing to Presales Teams to be used in Pricing
- Engage cross-functional and virtual teams where required
- Perform as functional bridge amongst external vendors as well as internal stakeholders
- Support monthly review management of services, and vendor benchmarking
- Coordinate all vendor management tasks inclusive of working with external vendors and internal employees
Risks and Profitability
- To ensure that bids, RFPs, proposals are commercially and financially complete in terms of ensuring that all cost elements provided are included and priced
- To manage commercial and financial risk of bids, RFX's & to ensure profitability of the Company per deal
- Compliance with all Regulatory requirements for pricing
- Vendor Management
- Solution Checking to ensure what was requested to Supplier and what the Customer requires is aligned
- Advise on procedures covering the selection of 3rd party suppliers
- Ensure enterprise-wide needs for due diligence, risk assessment and continuing vendor monitoring are being accomplished
- Ensure that 3rd party providers are approved in accordance with Liquid Telecoms procedures
- Support tracking and recording of acceptance procedures and criteria for Vendors
- As part of a wider commercial and legal team, apply commercial strategy and relevant procurement and intellectual property law to assist with negotiations with these preferred 3rd party providers
Commercial Sign off Processes, Tracking, Reporting, Benchmarking
- To ensure general discounting guidelines are observed by the Sales teams and compliance thereof
- To ensure that commercial and financial sign-off processes are observed
- Monthly analysis and reporting on pricing & business case requests
- Quotation tracking
- To track and benchmark competitor pricing of products / services
- Responsible for SFDC and / or other Operations/Business Support Systems price updates
Innovation and Continuous Improvement
- Innovation - contribute to continuous improvement in the optimisation, transformation and efficiency of the team with a focus on automation and self service
- Develop easy to use pricing calculators for account managers
- Develop customised business case models for easy handling of common scenarios
- Informal training and mentoring of peers and new employees in business case compilation and other regular duties
- Decides on cost modelling and allocation methodologies and processes
- Decides on product price setting and acceptable margins per product/scenario in conjunction with Products, Finance and other stakeholders / approvers in order to maintain price competitiveness
- Decides on treatment of exceptional business case requirements
- Decides on cost allocation methodology and commercial structures for complex solutions
- Accountable for pricing competitiveness recommendations
- Accountable for maintaining minimum agreed margins
- Accountable for adherence to agreed commercial and financial sign-off processes
- Accountable for price setting and acceptable margins per product/scenario in conjunction with Products, Finance and other stakeholders / approvers in order to maintain price competitiveness
- Accountable for delivery of standard and complex business case / pricing requirements within agreed timelines
- Accountable for meaningful engagement with stakeholders on standard and complex business case requirements to drive completion and approval of the optimal commercial offer
- Accountable for the presentation of standard and complex business case / pricing to the Senior Manager to EXCO / GCOO for review and approval
- Accountable for enforcement of business case parameters / margins and adherence to process and pre-requisites as directed by EXCO
- Accountable for delivery of ad hoc projects contributing to optimisation and transformation of the team structure as dictated by business needs
- Accountable for training / dissemination of LTSA methodologies / processes on business case / pricing preparation with other Opcos in the Group