A subsidiary of Econet Global, Liquid Telecom is the leading independent data, voice and IP provider in eastern, central and southern Africa. It supplies fibre optic, satellite and international carrier services to Africa's largest mobile network operators, ISPs and businesses of all sizes. It also provides payment solutions to financial institutions and retailers, as well as award winning data storage and communication solutions to businesses across Africa and beyond. Put simply, we connect people.
We started out by questioning the way things are done and being single-minded in our determination to improve them. Everything we do is driven by a simple yet powerful belief that everyone in Africa has the right to be connected. Over the last decade, this vision has helped us change the face of communications in the region.
Our future-focused approach to new product development makes our services enduringly adaptable.
We have to focus on services of the future and new revenue streams not as a side show to infrastructure but as the main show leveraging off the infrastructure which we have. - Nic Rudnick
Our flexible and dynamic business model keeps us at the forefront of telecoms innovation. And by listening to customers, we ensure that our solutions are constantly evolving to meet their needs. In June 2017, Liquid Telecom raised $700m in a bond and term-loan issue that will help Liquid Telecom refinance debt and provide a war chest for further acquisitions.
At the very core of our business is our belief that every individual on the continent has the right to be connected. We believe that the power of technology will create better and brighter lives for everyone.
We're for everyone - Being connected shouldn't just be for the privileged few. We believe it's for everyone and this was recognised at the AfricaCom Awards 2013 when we won an award for Best Cost Efficiency Solution. The sense of doing the right thing runs through every aspect of our business.
Integrity - Having integrity in everything we do has made us what we are today. We are all encouraged to play our part and take responsibility for doing things right and doing the right thing.
Only The Best Will Do - We're constantly striving to deliver the best communications technology to everyone from the smallest communities to the biggest businesses in the region.
Dont Talk Do - We listen carefully to our customers, then we deliver beyond their expectations. This can do' attitude is key to our success.
In It For The Long Run - We've invested heavily in our own network and technology. We created the largest single fibre network in the region, which stretches over 18,000km across borders to connect people locally, nationally and internationally. We're not stopping there we're continuing to invest so we can connect people all over Africa.
LOCATION - MIDRAND, GAUTENG
To be responsible for supporting the planning, design, implementation and Operations of the Liquid Telecoms IP Metro Network which includes the Metro and Access Network Infrastructure and Services functions.
This position includes supporting tasks to meet the planning and implementing IP Metro and Access platforms to support maximum possible service availability, capacity and performance of the IP Network and customer services.
Minimum Requirements of Job
Formal Qualifications Required
- Degree/Diploma or equivalent experience in Engineering and/or Networking.
- Cisco Qualification CCIP/ CCNP Service Provider or Routing and Switching
- MEF CECP 2.0 - Desirable
- Juniper Qualification Optional JNCIP/ JNCIS Service Provider or Routing and Switching - Desirable
Job Related Experience Required
- Experience in a similar or related environment
- Experience in telecom / IT environment of which four years working directly in the area of telecommunications technology and or Internet Service Provider
Job Related Knowledge Required
- Plan, Organize, direct, control and evaluate Metro and access network comprising of the metro and access systems
- Knowledge of and experience in working with leading-edge telecommunications network architecture specifically in a planning role
- Experience of working with IP, MPLS networks, Next Generation Networks, Metro Ethernet, and optical transmission networks
- A deep understanding of current trends in IP, latest features on Cisco and Juniper routers
- Experience in design & integration of core transport technologies for IP, NGN Voice, Data Centre, CDMA, WiMAX and P2P & PMP microwave platforms
Job Related Skills Required
- Analytical Thinking
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Highly motivated and self-discipline
- Excellent understanding of IP technologies and principles
- Cisco, Juniper product knowledge highly advantageous
- Self-starter, able to take instruction and manage self for motivation and delivery
- Team worker, works effectively within the team delivering own targets and supporting others
- Stress resistant, able to work under and cope with pressure without unduly compromising delivery
- Customer focused; ensures awareness of customer needs and expectations, constantly striving to deliver same
- Perform IP Planning function related to IP/MPLS and Metro-E Core Infrastructure and Services which may include National and International Peering Points and Internet Transit services
- Design solutions for Core and Services which encompass IPv4, IPv6, Layer 2 and Layer 3 VPN, Ethernet Virtual Circuit (EVC) Service Instance (SI) model, VFI, VRF, Metro Ethernet
- Assist Sales, Product, Marketing, Service Delivery and Service Assurance teams with high level solution design for Neotel Services
- Network Architecture Design & Optimization and Performance testing of new IP and Metro-E product & services end-to-end and providing template to Service Delivery (SD) on configuration of infrastructure
- Identify infrastructure and network expansion requirements as input to network capacity and performance planning, optimization and upgrading of infrastructure
- Assist Service Assurance/NOC with fault-finding of network related problems when required
- Implement the IP/MPLS and Metro-E Network Architecture and logic diagrams using low-level design recommendations to optimize planning, eliminate security risks & prevent security breaches
- Provide input for generation of monthly activity and special reports required by the IP Planning Manager/Head
- Adhere to strict timelines of Core Infrastructure projects and Services Planning activities, Implementation, Network Upgrade, etc
- Assist with Optimisation of current Core Platform to ensure more robust and resilient network and Internet architecture and review of low level design for Core and customer services
- Manage, control and report the routing and capacity requirements of national and International links and interconnection between peering points
- Design, recommend and vet core network and customer solutions based on IPv6 IP address range for customized solutions
Network Plans EXEs, templates, design, procedural documents, reports done within agreed timelines and with quality
- Creates and update the planning, design and implementation of IP Metro and Access infrastructure to meet the deployment of products/services within required timelines. This includes service planning and implementation on IP Access Network. The IP Metro and Access infrastructure/services
- Service Provider Metro/Access includes MPLS MPE (Metro Provider Edge), APE (Access Provider Edge), Access switches and routers
- Access routers for Layer 2, Layer 3 including the service constructs, configuration and architecture of services includes Metro Ethernet and VPN (Virtual Private Network)
- Creates EXEs from configuration templates for new and existing deployments of Metro and Access infrastructure and services
- Works with internal teams, contractors and outsourced vendors to produce the most efficient way to implement IP solutions and services
- Plans and implements upgrades to meet Metro and Access capacity requirements to avoid Stop Sales and degraded performance as a result of Capacity issues
- Plans and implements upgrades to meet the high availability and SLA of IP customer services. Work with team to implement remediation measures to address all IP design related failures and to avoid repeat failures due to availability issues
Support Sales & Product Development, SD to provision new customers & Customer retention
- Work with internal and external teams to support IP revenue generating & revenue assurance activities
- Working with Sales & Solution Architects to create customised IP solutions and vet IP solutions and provide recommendations
- Assist Service Delivery with standard and customised IP solution planning and configurations. Ensure standard IP product configuration templates are available and updated. Ensure ability to model devices & plan IP services on LTSA systems
- Support Service Delivery IP planning and delivery of services
Optimise Network, Improve customer Experience, Integrated Planning Alignment
- Execute on initiatives and continuous improvements in the design and planning of Metro and Access network to improve customer experience. Support implementation of integrated plan and optimisation projects to enhance revenue, capacity, growth initiatives
- Support the One Network initiative. Integration of AS30844 and AS36937 Networks. (Autonomous Systems). Interact and support the LTG teams to maintain high standards across the group to ensure seamless connectivity across Africa and all other IP Points of presence
- Plan and implement IP projects/EXEs to create/optimize customer services incorporating customer improvement plans to improve customer experience. Support L2 to L3 migration activities as per project plan
- Plan, Implement and support systems and network infrastructure for layer 2 and layer 3 services. Support the service provision and operations of the IP customer services
Operations ensures the network performs within stipulated design criteria to meet services provided
- Contributes to IP Operations processes and procedures to achieve a Mean Time to Restore (MTTR) that meets or exceeds industry standards and customer Service Level Agreements
- Supports the IP TAC Levels to ensure quick resolution of Incidents, major events and ensure that the Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and escalations are provided within the agreed time allocated and SLA. Work with contractors and outsourced vendors. Support IP TAC/SOC/NOC operations function
- Contributes to the Metro and Access network performance in accordance to Industry standards and Service Level Agreements
- Maintains and updates all IP NMS systems (application software and inventory) and systems are accessible for monitoring/reporting of network element status. Backup all IP NMS systems
- Contributes to the IP process and system transition to LTSA. Ensures transformation to optimised IP systems and processes and ensure intellectual property resides with LTSA
- Executes processes that ensures all devices operate optimally so that IP system resources eg. device CPU, Memory, are kept in line with Vendor specs
Improved team dynamics - cohesive unit, highly motivated, ensure skills transfer within team
- People Development Training programs, coaching sessions
- Build skill level in team by providing IP knowledge transfer workshops
- Motivate team members by assisting them to get their IP qualifications/certifications
- Contribute to training sessions, knowledge transfer sessions with all other verticals of LTSA and LTG teams and provide them info of the network
- Contribute to the knowledge base with team regularly to keep team informed of known issues / errors, updates and Root Cause Analysis (RCA) learnings
- Decides on Build of materials for the POP deployments
- Decides on IP addressing IPv4, IPv6, IP routing, IP Peering and IP Transit on Core network
- Decides on the implementation delivery timeframes based on the complexity of solutions with Service delivery
- Accountable for monitoring, analysing and reporting of capacity, availability and performance KPIs and recommending remediation activities to Senior Management
- Accountable to keep resource database IP addressing, VLANs, capacity and configuration templates up to date.
- Accountable for Bill of materials for the POP and service deployments
- Accountable for deploying best practises into the network